You Are Reading

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 2 - Final Web Crit.

[Insert design boards here]


After our final critique where I left a series of questions, I was left with input from five different people.

The questions read:

1. Currently, the website is monochrome. Is there a particular colour-scheme that you feel would suit the site?

2. What are your views on the aesthetic choices (besides the colour-scheme) used for the design of the site.

3. Is it usable? Does it make sense?

4. Would it be useful to you if you were looking for a camera?

5. Does the idea of an interactive background work well?

6. Any points you'd like to personally make besides these questions?

The responses I collected after read the following:

Response 1:

I like the quiz element, introduce price question.

Who do we contact through this site, you or a professional company? - is it suitable?

An interactive background could work well. Maybe a slide-show or camera parts?

Way too much text on design boards, reduce this.

Response 2:

1. Monochrome works for the site, but colour *word I can not decipher* hurt in the photos. It works for the camera page.

2. They're okay, it's not something I would make to go with this site as you have, it feels suited elsewhere.

3. Some links don't work so, sort of?

4. If I was a very focused photographer and only photographed one thing, yes. But the camera doesn't determine that, the lens does for some.You should talk about what lens to pick.

5. I'm not sure, it's not there so I don't know.

6. A title would be nice, no idea what it's about.

Response 3:

1. Most camera production companies have a warm colour as their colour of choice. Perhaps a warm colour applied as a sort of highlight might work. Like the red on a canon lens.

2. I'm not sure on the layout. There doesn't appear to be any grids.  The image composition doesn't really fit either. It's going off the bottom right of the page.

3. A couple of link don't work. 'Shop' and all the social media buttons. The contact form won't let me input text?

4. Not really. Personally, when I choose a camera the two things I consider is price and quality. They all do the same stuff really. The lens is what makes the difference.

5. I'm not sure how the background is interactive? It's a plain image from what I can see I'm afraid.

6. The left aligned nav bar works well. it's easy to see and use. I am not sure the illustration logo fits with the photography.

Response 4:

1. No, monochrome suits the subject of photography. Colour could make it too busy or drive the certain aesthetic away from the site.

2. The bold font choice doesn't seem to work for me, it's too difficult to read for body copy especially against the unfocused background, I find myself straining.

3. As navigation goes it is usable.

6. Don't know if the homepage is offset on purpose but personally I would of centred it and not running off the screen because I feel the need to scroll.

Response 5:

Why is the shop first? Surely this would be the last choice?

I would look to introduce the price range or budget, as this would be very helpful. Some may not be able to afford what you have suggested.

The typeface isn't the most legible. Possible change, something more easy on the eyes.

Are all the options leading to the same camera or have you just coded it like this for now?

In all honesty I felt very disheartened with the comments I had received when I tried my very best to design and code it all in a weekend but if that is what people thought of what I had done then fair enough. My action plan will be developed to tackle these issues mentioned and the issues/changes that they will also conflict.

Action plan:

Include a pricing section of the advice quiz.

Make it more lens focused with a camera to back it up.

Keep monochrome, maybe duotone.

Rethink the layouts of the site as it isn't apparent I have put any effort in it.

Use a different font for body-copy.

Use a different image as the background or centre it.

Re-think the logo.

The shop button should be the last in the nav links.

Make the point of the website obvious.

Pretty much re-do it again...

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.