You Are Reading

OUGD403 - Design Skills - Letterpress and Lino print workshop.

We went down to the Vernon Street building of Leeds College of Art to have a play at mono printing, lino printing and letterpress. I in particular have never done any of these so i was eager to try them all, sadly because of how many students there were and how long it took me to cut my lino, I only ended up trying lino printing and letterpress.

The first thing i tried was lino-printing. Firstly I layered my lino with chalk and then traced the 'a' from my previous brief onto it. The chalk was an idea i had to make the pencil more visible.


After tracing the onto my lino, I then used a selection of tools to carve out the surrounding edges and background and leave the letter behind, this took a really long time which later prevented me from trying out monoprinting.


After it was all cut out, I rolled the black ink onto my lino and then attached it to the press to print onto my paper. As you can see, I made a massive mistake at the beginning of this print method. I forgot to reverse it, so essentially, my print was reversed. If I ever have time to do this again, I will make sure i do it the right way. I wanted to show this in my hand in but it disappeared from both our studio and vernon street.


The next method of printing I experimented with was letter press. I was unaware/forgot we were going to be handing in and blogging about all of this and so I apologise for my use of language, I wasn't being very serious about it and I was just having a bit of fun with it.

I went into the type drawers and chose a selection of letterforms and bars to create my print and then applied ink to each individually and printed them.



Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.