You Are Reading

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2 - Café Vélo Branding and Identity

As I wanted to follow the organic, hand made and independent feel that select coffee shops theme themselves around, I began working on logotype for the cafe. This would be hand-rendered calligraphy with a hand painted effect.











In respect to typeface choice to accompany the logotype I wanted a sans serif font which would work well in both uppercase and lowercase characters as well as have a full set of usable glyphs. I had a look through my collection and picked out Edmondsans, Raoul Transport Britannique and Mission Gothic.



These tailored the aesthetics I was looking for but to keep the branding contextually relevant, I chose Raoul Transport (the middle one) as it is based on british road-signs. This typeface will be used beside the logotype as well as way finding within the cafe some product sub headers when relevant.


The typeface used for body copy will be PT Mono, a monospace font which is often overlooked. This font has interesting features in the characters which reflect the cafe's style. I find monospace fonts very interesting at the moment as the width of each letter is identical, with the right spacing, this is a very legible font at small point sizes which will prove to be useful for use on business cards or copy in letters.





When deciding on colour, my preference was pushing on a dark red. This psychologically reflects strength, power, energy, determination and desire - all of which reflect upon cycling, a fixed theme throughout the establishment. This would work nicely with organic materials which the colour would be printed on as well as black & white for impact and legibility.



Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.